Marsden Eye Specialists and Your practice Online are interested in the privacy and safety of our visitors. The following page outlines your rights and responsibilities in accordance with the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights and the 13 National Privacy Principles (NPPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988.
Our Website contains forms through which users may request information or provide feedback to us. In some cases, telephone numbers or return addresses are required so that we can provide requested information to you. We may also track where you go or what you read in our Website so that we can provide you with effective follow up information, but only if you have given us explicit permission to do so by filling out a form that asks you if we may do so.
What is Consent?
Consent is defined as agreeing to do something or to give permission. Four core criteria must be met according to NSW Health standards:
- the patient giving consent must have capacity
- the consent must be freely given
- the consent must be sufficiently specific to the procedure or treatment proposed
- the consent must be informed.
To read more about NSW Health Guidelines on consent, click here .
What is Personal Information?
How do we collect personal information?
We obtain this information either:
- Directly from you
- Provided to us on your behalf with your consent
- From official correspondence to Marsden Eye Specialists from your health care provider like a referral
Type of information we collect?
This can include but is not limited to:
- Date of birth
- Personal contact information (e.g. address, email, phone number)
- Medicare, DVA and/or Health fund details
- Reason for visit including examination results, diagnosis and treatments discussed by our healthcare providers
How do we use your personal information?
With respect to industry standard on providing healthcare, we will usually use your information in any correspondence with your primary healthcare provider to inform them of the outcome of your visit. If these details have changes please feel free to contact us
We may also use your health information for the following reasons:
- To aide your medical team in their treatment of your health, including release of information to relevant healthcare practitioners and government agencies in the event of an emergency or required by law
- Billing details for health funds, government agencies (e.g. medicare, DVA) and if necessary to external debt collection agencies for outstanding accounts
- To provide you with reminders for appointment and any correspondence we may have with you
- Liability indemnity arrangements with insurers, medical defence organisations and lawyers; and for the defence of anticipated or existing legal proceedings;
- De-identified patient information may be used for internal and external marketing and quality review processes.
- This may include de-identified images/results/data for research, presentations and/or marketing
How do we store your personal information?
At Marsden Eye Specialists, we securely store your information under lock and key and encrypted servers on physical and digital mediums. We are required under law to have your medical records stored with us for a minimum of 7 years after your visit. After this time, if the record is no longer relevant or necessary, they will disposed in a secure and lawful manner.
Updating Personal Information?
Please call us on or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to update any personal or medical information
Google Analytics- Cookies
152 Marsden Street
Parramatta, NSW, 2150
Or you can contact our Webmaster at email@example.com
Under the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) you can make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) about the handling of your personal information.
For details please visit:
We may modify this document at any time at our sole discretion.